Source: AutomotorPro.com – 4 Great 2020 Volvos: V60 Cross Country, XC 90, V60 and XC60 Polestar
Written by Marco Carvajal
Photographs by Marco Carvajal
2020 is an exciting year for the Volvo lineup. We can see interesting changes trending to give Volvo cars an even better market positioning in the US market.
Volvo is becoming more premium than ever, offering better repaired warranties like parts and labor for life, complimentary Tow for Life, and new innovative purchasing models like the new subscription system called Care by Volvo, where you pay one all-inclusive monthly price that includes a volvo car, car insurance and more, instead of buying or leasing.
General car sales have gown down in the last months during 2019, but Volvo actually has increased its sales approximately in 10% in the last months, showing the potential and increased loyalty for new and current customers of the well known Swedish brand.
Volvo Safety First
One of the main goals for Volvo is to build extremely safe cars. Let’s not forget that 60 years ago Volvo created the 3-point-seat-belt that is still used today by most cars in the world, royalty-free, as Volvo never asked other car manufacturers to pay to use it. That was a great contribution from Volvo to the world of automotive safety.
Recently I had the opportunity to meet with Dr. Lotta Jakobsson, Senior Technical Leader, Injury Prevention from Volvo headquarters in Gothenburg, Sweden. Dr. Lotta explained how Volvo conduct safety tests every day in an effort to find new ways to make Volvo cars safer. They also have a team of specialist that check live accidents on the streets of Sweden to find out how to improve the safety of passengers and third parties on future automotive accidents.
Volvo is probably the safest car in the world, not just for passengers but also for pedestrians and animals on the road. Something very innovative is that one of their cars has an airbag in the exterior near the front bumper to protect pedestrians in the case of an accident.
Volvo Cars Polestar Engineered
What does it mean Polestar in Volvo?
Polestar is a new separate brand of performance electric cars created by Volvo. “Polestar engineered” models use Volvo’s Polestar new brand technology with plug-in hybrid electric efficiency on Volvo automobiles.
Polestar is one of the future competitors for Tesla, but the race is just starting.
Polestar Engineered automobiles provide highly controlled and intuitive driving characteristics, in combination with powerful plug-in hybrid propulsion technology, delivering an electrifying advanced driving experience
Polestar cars use high-performance premium parts from some of the most respected automotive parts suppliers. Every Polestar component is perfectly fine-tuned and engineered to work together in order to produce the best driving performance.
T8 E-AWD Polestar Engineered
Polestar engineers have fine-tuned some Volvo models to deliver an engaging and electrifying driving experience. Merging the power of electrification with Volvo’s T8 Twin Engine, and adding high-end performance parts.
Polestar Engineered engine optimization ads a flavor of Polestar technology to a Volvo car, with the help of powertrain software enhancements. The result is a Volvo car designed to increase power, acceleration, transmission performance and all-wheel drive torque. But the result can also be seen on the exterior and interior design, with a modern avant-garde new design that makes these Volvo cars really attractive.
Polestar Optimization is being added to new Volvo models, producing a new type of Volvo that will make you addicted to drive. It also can be added to existing Volvo models.
- Polestar Engineered Brembo Brakes for high performance
- Polestar Engineered Öhlins Chassis for intuitive and highly controlled handling
My 2020 Volvo Favorite Trims
For 2020, Volvo is updating its lineup including many new features, and also including the “polestar engineered” models using Volvo’s Polestar new brand technology with plug-in hybrid electric efficiency.
There are 4 models I have been test driving in the new 2020 Volvo family lineup during my recent press trip to Alberta, Canada with Volvo executives:
- 2020 Volvo V60 T5 AWD Cross Country Wagon
- 2020 Volvo V60 T8 E-AWD Polestar Engineered
- 2020 Volvo XC90 T8 E-AWD Inscription
- 2020 Volvo XC6O T8 E-AWD Polestar Engineered
These 2020 models have something great to offer for those who want to own an extremely safe car with premium look, style, and great fuel efficiency.
The ticket price for a new Volvo is not cheap. If you want to own a Volvo you have to pay the premium price, but you will get an amazing optimized mobile machine.
- 2020 Volvo V60 T5 AWD Cross Country Wagon MSRP $45,100
- 2020 Volvo V60 T8 E-AWD Polestar Engineered MSRP $67,300
- 2020 Volvo XC90 T8 E-AWD Inscription MSRP $67,500
- 2020 Volvo XC6O T8 E-AWD Polestar Engineered MSRP $71,050
The V60 T5 AWD Cross Country Wagon is also available for purchase under the new subscription plan, Care by Volvo, for a mostly fee of $750 that includes insurance by Liberty mutual and all maintenance.
2020 Volvo V60 T5 AWD Cross Country Wagon
This Country Wagon is ideal for families and people who need good interior and cargo space. But it is also ready for any off-road experience with its powerful AWD.
These are some of the highlights for the Volvo V60 T5 AWD Cross Country Wagon
- T5 powertrain
- Turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine
- Horsepower 250 Hp
- Torque 258 lb. ft.
- MPG Hwy 31 MPG
- 18″ 5-Spoke Black Diamond Cut Alloy Wheels
- 3-Spoke Leather Steering Wheel w/Uni-deco Inlays
- 12.3″ Driver Display
- Volvo drive mode control that allows you to instantly adapt the powertrain and steering characteristics of this Cross Country to your preferences and driving conditions. Modes included are Comfort, Eco or Dynamic and Individual. You can easily switch between the modes using the roller control in the center console. Comfort mode optimizes comfort, while Eco mode calibrates the powertrain and climate system for the lowest possible fuel consumption. Dynamic mode is calibrated for sporty driving, with quick engine, transmission, steering and braking responses. Finally, with the Individual mode, you can customize your own personal drive mode.
- LED Headlights with Thor’s Hammer Daytime Running Lights & Auto Highbeam for a cooler exterior look.
I love the Volvo V60 T5 AWD Cross Country Wagon, family convenience and action merged into one car.
2020 Volvo V60 T8 E-AWD Polestar Engineered
This is a serious machine. It produces 415 horsepower with its T8 Twin Engine plug-in hybrid powertrain with e-AWD. The look of this car is just amazing, it gives you the impression of some type of super-hero car. It looks premium, aggressive and bolt.
This V60 Polestar Electric is a performance wagon with a powerful plug-in hybrid powertrain. Part of the Polestar optimization for this V60 includes upgraded suspension and braking components for a thrilling drive.
This Volvo is a mix of performance styling, a beautifully crafted interior and advanced intuitive technology.
- Four different driving modes cover every driving condition, Power, Hybrid, Pure and Individual. Power mode gives you maximum performance by getting the most out of the gas engine and electric motor, while AWD covers challenging road conditions. For everyday journeys, Hybrid automatically delivers the best mix of gas and electric power for maximum fuel efficiency. Pure runs only the electric motor, with zero tailpipe emissions. And finally, the Individual mode allows you to adjust your Volvo settings in your personal way.
- Polestar Engineered Brembo brakes. The V60 T8 Polestar Engineered is fitted with brakes that were developed in collaboration with renowned specialists Brembo. Six-piston calipers and ventilated 14.6-inch brake discs on the front wheels offer impressive braking power and also produce an impressive look from the outside.
2020 Volvo XC90 T8 E-AWD Inscription
The 2020 Volvo XC90 T8 E-AWD Inscription T8 eAWD Plug-in Hybrid provides maximum comfort and luxury. advanced safety and the classic Volvo Scandinavian elegant design.
The XC 90 looks great with the maximized space using the six-seats configuration that allows passengers for easy access to the third row, and provides increased comfort and room for the passengers in the second row. This XC 90 has the same impressive cabin and cargo capacity as the seven-seater, but with improved convenience.
Highlights of the XC90 T8 E-AWD Inscription
- Powerful Horsepower 400 HP
- Torque 472 lb. ft.
- MPG Highway 27
- 20″ 10 Spoke Silver Alloy Wheels
For those who love the classic Volvo look, elegant, modern and full power, then this XC90 is a great choice.
2020 Volvo XC6O T8 E-AWD Polestar Engineered
My last favorite model for 2020, the All-New XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered with electrifying performance. This is a unique SUV, not only powerful, fuel-efficient, but also the exterior is a work of art. Get ready to fall in love. It has part of the classic Volvo look, but it has a unique personality, more aggressive style. It is impressive!
The XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered is a stylish performance SUV with a powerful plug-in hybrid powertrain, for a pure and dynamic experience. Polestar optimization for the XC60 includes upgraded suspension and braking components.
The XC60 Polestar is engineered to perform. Enjoy a new level of driving, with performance chassis components by Öhlins, performance brakes by Akebono and a strut bar for precise control and steering.
- Effortless performance and zero-emissions capability, powered by a 415-hp T8 Twin Engine plug-in hybrid powertrain with e-AWD.
Careful when driving this XC6O T8 E-AWD Polestar Engineered, because you are going to fall in love.
Volvo innovations and advanced safety give us more reasons to drive these great cars and to consider Volvo cars a premium reward in our everyday transportation needs. Luxury, Polestar engineered hybrid technology, style and beauty can be found on some of the best new 2020 models, making Volvo even more attractive. If budget is not a problem, then Volvo is a great alternative.
I can see traditional buyers from Audi, BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes Benz switching to Volvo, especially to the Polestar models.
In this photo some of my favorite new 2020 Volvo Cars presented by Dr. Lotta Jakobsson, Senior Technical Leader, Injury Prevention from Volvo headquarters in Sweden.
Source: AutomotorPro.com – 4 Great 2020 Volvos: V60 Cross Country, XC 90, V60 and XC60 Polestar