Written by Marco Carvajal
The Toyota 86 rocks! It is a mix of sports car architecture, good comfort and modern performance with great value.
For drivers who want to purchase a cool sports car with a very attractive look and a fast loud engine, but want to spend less than $30K, the 2019 Toyota 26 GT is a great choice. The automotive market in the US is becoming more competitive, as a result automakers are offering more choices and options at lower cost for car buyers.
The 86 GT looks more expensive than its real price, it will impress your date and your friends, but you don’t need to spend a fortune to buy it.
The 86 was launched by Toyota back in 2012, as a result of a jointly development between Toyota and Subaru. The 86 was born with three concepts in mind, rear-wheel drive, no turbocharging and be able to use ordinary tires. The goal was accomplished and Japanese car engineers gave birth to the 86.
The 86 is a great sports car with very good fuel economy at 24 MPG average on the manual transmission and 27 MPG average on the automatic transmission. This low fuel consumption for this type of car, together with its low price, makes the Toyota 86 a great value. Instead of paying more for gas and purchase price, save some money to take your loved ones on fast rides onboard the 86 on weekend getaways.
Something that Toyota wants to achieve with the 86, is to provide creative owners the option to easily customize their automobile, something that most sports car owners look for when purchasing this type of car.
The 2019 Toyota 86 is a very attractive 2+2 coupe sports car that uses real wheel drive, helping with maneuvering and drifting. The 2+2 design includes two regular seats in the front and two small rear seats for smaller passengers in the back. It is nice to have space for 4 people. Those drivers like myself who have children, can use their 86 on fast highway when driving alone, but also can enjoy family daily driving to take children to school and impress everybody on the school car ride line with the 86 impressive sports design.
The 2019 Toyota 86 GT Highlights
2.0-liter, 4-cylinder, boxer, aluminum alloy block and head
DOHC 4-valves per cylinder with Dual Variable Valve Timing
1998 cc Displacement
205 hp @ 7,000 rpm (SAE NET)
156 lb-ft @ 6,400 rpm
21/28/24 (6-Speed manual transmission)
24/32/27 (6-Speed automatic transmission)
6-Speed Close-Ratio Manual (TL70)
6-speed Electronically Controlled automatic Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i) (TX6A)
Michelin Primacy HP summer or all-season tires Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Alloy 17 x 7.0 in. (5 x 100 mm bolt pattern; +48 mm inset)
TRD Special Edition: 18 x 7.5 in. (5 x 100 mm bolt pattern: +48 mm inset)
2+2 seats for four passengers.
RWD (Rear Wheel Drive)
Three Toyota 86 Models
The 2019 86 lineup includes 3 different trims, you can select the base 86, 86 GT that I am test driving, or the new 2019 limited production model, the 86 TRD Special Edition, the newest grade on the 86 lineup.
The two trim models 86 and 86 GT offer a wide package of standard amenities, including the choice of a six-speed automatic or manual transmission. Standard 2.0-liter, 205-hp Boxer Engine with Toyota D-4S Injection.
New 2019 86 TRD Special Edition
The 2019 86 TRD Special Edition joins the lineup as an ultimate performance 86, enhanced with brembo brakes, SACHS dampers, TRD Body Kit and Michelin pilot sport 4 tires. The TRD SE also includes new design details, TRD exhaust and manual transmission only. There are several options available on this new TRD version, like heated power outside mirrors, keyless entry with pushbutton start, matte black rear wing with color-keyed end plates, heated leather front seats and dual-zone a/c.
The 2019 86 is a beautiful stylish sports car for a very affordable price. You can purchase the base model for a starting price around $27K, the GT for $29K and finally go for the top of the line, the new 86 TRD Special Edition around 32K.
- 2019 Toyota 86
starting at $26,655
- 2019 Toyota 86 GT
starting at $28,785
- 2019 Toyota 86 TRD Special Edition
starting at $32,470
The 86 looks more expensive, it is a compact sports car with a great exterior look and a powerful engine.
Great 8 speakers audio standard
If you like fast loud sports car, you probably also love great quality audio to enjoy your favorites tracks when driving your 86. The standard audio system included on the 86 comes with a 7 in. touch-screen display, AM/FM player, Aha Application with over 100,000 stations, 8 speakers, auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port with iPod connectivity and control. This beauty also includes voice recognition with voice training, hands-free phone capability, phone book access ( up to 2,500 phone book contacts) and music streaming via Bluetooth wireless technology. Then the audio system also includes HD Radio, Gracenote album cover art, and for a safe drive, steering wheel audio controls. Satelite radio is on my wish list for upcoming 86 generations.
The quality of this audio system is good and you can enjoy great sound with its 8 speakers. No optional audio is offered but the standard audio is good enough to give you a very pleasant ride.
The exterior of the 86 looks like a retro classic sports car but with a modern aerodynamic touch. The exterior design includes a chin spoiler long hood and a short rear deck. Sports aerodynamics were not forgotten when designing the 86, producing a great low drag coefficient 0.29 Cd for better performance.
Optimal turn-in response and air flow under the car for a fantastic performance.
Standard Exterior Features:
- 17-inch twisted-spoke alloy wheels
- Front fender-mounted vortex generators
- Front fender-mounted “86” badge
- Roof-mounted color-keyed shark-fin antenna
- Multi-function in-key remote keyless entry system with lock, unlock, panic, and trunk-release functions
- Color-keyed power outside mirrors
- Variable intermittent front windshield wipers
- Chrome-tipped dual exhaust
- LED hi-lo headlamps with auto on/off function and embossed “86” lens
- LED daytime running lights & front turn signals
- All-LED taillights, brake lights, rear turn signals, and center-mounted stop lamp
Rear bumper with aerodynamic lower diffuser
The Interior of the Toyota 86 is very sporty with suede type materials producing a beautiful sophisticated look. Trim accents and style gives an elegant sporty look to the 86.
You can notice how every penny you invest in buying your 86 gets magically multiplied in the interior design just like everywhere else. Somehow Toyota is selling a car that should be priced at 50K, but you only pay less than 30K.
Standard interior features included on the 86
- Air Conditioning with Filter
- Sport Bucket Seats with Black Side Bolsters (6-way driver seat and 4-way front-passenger seat with integrated headrests)
- Height-Adjustable Driver Seat
- Driver and front-passenger sport knee cushions
- Granlux suede-like material accents on door panels, armrest and instrument panel surround, including an “86” logo embroidered on passenger side instrument facia
- Dual Sun Visors with Vanity Mirrors
- One-Piece Folding Rear Seatback
- Digital clock
- Multi-Info Display (MID)
- Power windows with one-touch up/down and jam protection
- One-piece folding rear seatback
- Center-mounted tachometer with programmable rev indicator
- Aluminum sport pedals and scuff plates
- Digital and analog speedometer
- Leather-trimmed tilt/telescopic steering wheel with silver contrast thread stitching “86” center cap logo, and audio controls
- Leather-trimmed tilt/telescopic steering wheel with silver colored thread stitching “86” center cap logo, audio controls, and paddle shifters (automatic transmission)
- Cruise control
- Leather-wrapped shift knob
- Center console with 12V outlet, sliding dual cup holder, and storage area
Safety and Security
When driving performance cars, safety is a must. The 2019 Toyota 86 is equipped with the following safety features:
- 6 airbags, includes driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System, driver and front passenger outboard seat-mounted side airbags, and front and rear side curtain airbags
- Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) & Smart Stop Technology (SST)
- Vehicle Stability Control Track Mode (VSC mode)
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
- Rear-view backup camera
- 3-point seatbelts for all seating positions. Driver-side Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) and Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractor (ALR/ELR) on all passenger belts
- Integrated headrest for driver and front passenger
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) includes lower anchors on outboard rear seats and tether anchors on all rear seats
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- Engine Immobilizer
The 86 is fast and drivers can enjoy performance and precision. The 86 is a sports 2+2 rear-wheel drive coupe with the personality of an athlete. Great power from its loud engine, a beautiful attractive design, great balance and enough space to have 4 passengers on board. Value is written everywhere, low fuel economy at 24 MPG average and a low sale price around 28K.
Don’t be deceived by the price, even with its low price, still looks and drives as a premium sports racing machine. If this car would have been produced by a fancy Italian car manufacturer, it will cost you double or more, even with the same identical specs and materials. Again Toyota made it! gave us great cars at very affordable price.